Friday, June 20, 2014

The Lab's 3D Printer is on its way

Technology Grade 7


After envisioning a 3D printer in The Lab early last year and setting a goal of having one by the summer of 2014. I have delivered on that promise Ladies and Gentlemen. With less than 24 hours of spring remaining I finally hit the ‘place order’ button on the first 3D printer for DRSLevy Labs Incorporated.

The printer that I decided to purchase was the Asterid 1000HB3D Printer. The final deciding factors were build volume and the heated printing bed made of Borosilicate glass. Along with the form factor, which was a boxed design vs an open build platform design were the deciding factors. I went over budget by $12 but that was primarily because of the $42 shipping fee. Can’t account for everything unfortunately.

I went over the details of my short short list which was basically the Asterid and the Solidoodle models based on price, print volume, form factor and feature set. There were two things that really stood out that allowed me to be comfortable with the decision I made. One was the heated bed. The fact that it was heated and was made of a material that would reduce the overall maintenance and calibration of the unit was a huge plus. Another was that the maximum build volume was over 100% greater than the comparable Solidoodle model. That being said or written, I can undoubtedly say that I know that the correct decision was made based on the criteria that I set for purchasing the printer. I will be posting updates once I receive the printer and start printing.


I want to thank the following people in no particular order except for my wife, Thato Levy, who has always encouraged and allowed me to do what I love most, Technology and always has words of encouragement or wisdom when needed. She above everyone else reserves my love and everlasting Thanks. Julian Stephenson, Nathaniel Stephenson, Nestor Galvan, Daniel Robles and Marco Miranda. Thank you all for your direct contribution and your future endeavors within The Lab.  This is the beginning of another chapter in my life that I hope will conclude in a book that everyone will one day want to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment