Sunday, May 25, 2014

FTP Server 2.0

I have decided to finally try to narrow down my Blog focus but that will be the subject of another post, for now I will continue to concentrate on the server and setting it up as an FTP server.

When I originally decided to switch to vsftpd it was on the basis that I would eventually learn how to administer this ftp server and in the process give everyone some insight into how to do this themselves. The reality is that most of the setup is via command line/terminal and if you don't know what that is then you are my target audience. 

For those of you who don't know what command line/terminal is click on the related word and you will find out. Today, everyone uses a GUI to interact with their corresponding OS. The command line continues to be the primary way that engineers, programmers, and hackers interact with their OS's at a level which allows them to access and create content.  

I want to limit and even eliminate the need for anyone utilizing my Blog having to use the command line/terminal to duplicate anything I do here. Of such, my search continues and I stumbled upon crushftp which does have a version for the three OS's used by over 99% of users today. Unlike filezilla that was only available for Windows as a server and vsftpd which is for unix based operating systems.

Unfortunately, when using linux, there will always be a time when you have to utilize the terminal interface to complete a task and crushftp is no different. Similar to vsftpd, I was able to successfully setup local assess and verify that it works but the remote access continues to be elusive. 

Another goal for my Blog is to complete these tasks/setups on a budget. Spending as little as possible is a real goal in every thing that I have accomplished so far. More out of necessity than just attempting to just because I want to. Crushftp is free to try for 30 days, there is a paid license fee that starts at $40 for home use. 

The goal is to setup remote access using crushftp before the 30 day trial is over and report back on it and that's only if I don't find another method that's simpler, quicker and cheaper. More updates to come, any thoughts and suggestions are welcome in the comments section.



No comments:

Post a Comment