Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Putting the Server to use update

My previous findings about utilizing FileZilla as a server for my FTP was a misguided and uneducated selection. Purely based on the fact that as the server, FileZilla only works on Windows computers and my Server is running Ubuntu/Linux. 

It took me about an hour to figure that out and then another hour to find another free way to setup an FTP server on a Linux computer. I found and installed vsftpd. I was able to get it setup and initialized for local access on my network. It gets really complicated setting it up for remote access which I have started and will try to finish by the end of this week.

It included signing up for a free DNS at no-ip.com and setting up port forwarding in my router settings. There are a lot of tutorials out there that give great step by step instructions but you really have to piece together the missing answers to questions that only you will have based on the fact that your ISP, Computer, Operating system version and luck in getting a free DNS will be different from everyone else. 

I will say that I am actually very happy with the amount of work I was able to accomplish in under 12 hours. I am an engineer but I did not study webdesign nor networking to this extent so from that perspective, I am learning as I go along. Will keep you all posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment